Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Casting & Blasting


With Ricky gone this past weekend fishing in Maine, I searched around for something to occupy my time other than being a couch potato and spending money I don't have at the mall.

A co-worker recently told me about classes/seminars that the CO Dept. of Wildlife puts on - many of which are free or only cost a small fee. I decided to sign-up for their newsletter. Looking through the email I saw that they were having a women's only class for fishing and shooting when Rick was to be gone. I figured it would be a good way to get out there and brush-up on some of my skills without looking like a idiot in front of the experienced guys we usually go with.

So, for $15 (which was for breakfast and lunch - the rest of the class was free) I spent a whole day in Silverthorne improving my fly fishing casts and learning how to shoot a shotgun! Now, I've fly fished before, but my presentation was crummy. I learned a lot and it was great to get the one on one help from the *cute* DOW ranger. :) I even hooked my first trout with a fly rod! Unfortunately, he didn't stay hooked for long and got away.

Later in the day, we headed towards Kremmling to a private range where I nervously shot my first firearm. Before Saturday the only gun I have ever shot was a water gun! We learned basic gun safety and headed out to the range. I took a deep breath, chambered my shell, and braced myself for the recoil - which actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting although I was sore the next day. I was able to hit 2 out of 3 stationary clay targets, but didn't hit any of the moving clay pigeons. I am so proud of myself for overcoming my nervousness! I'm glad I did because it was a blast (pun intended) and I would definitely do it again!

Maybe its time I get my conceal/carry permit and my own girly pistol... :)

No comments: